Wrong Beliefs about Dental Implants
We all may have one or more of our natural teeth due to accidents or untreated emergency dental issues. Losing teeth is one of the awful experiences in our life. However, this dental defect can be treated and replaced through various tooth replacement options such as dentures, dental bridges, and dental implants. These days, dental implants are so popular and widely used. But still, many people think dental implants are not suitable for them because they have misconceptions about dental implants. If you are a North York citizen suffering from lost teeth and desire to replace them, you can visit the professional team at 6006 Yonge Dental. In the following, we will explain some of the most common misconceptions about dental implants.
- Does the dental implant hurt? During this oral surgery, the surgical area is completely numbed, and the patient does not feel any pain during the surgery. Even if the patient is too frightened, sedation dentistry will be used. After the surgery, the dentist will give the patient antibiotics and painkillers. Anyway, surgery has been done in that area, but you won’t feel any pain with painkillers.
- Many people think that implants are visible and noticeable when talking or laughing, but this is a misconception, and if the dental implant is placed well and the cover is installed correctly, it even cannot be distinguished from natural teeth.
- These tooth replacements are temporary. It is a misconception. Most people think that their implanted teeth last for about 7 or 8 years, such as dental bridges or dentures. But this is incorrect, and the dental implant usually remains in the patient’s mouth for the rest of their life. Of course, it depends on the condition of the patient’s oral health and the conditions of the oral surgery.
- Implants cause bone destruction. Some people who had a dental bridge to replace their missing teeth, experienced bone destruction after a while. Now, many people believe that the same thing happens with dental implants, while the fact is that implants preserve the jawbone unbelievably.
- Another misconception is that appearance and speech problems are created in the person. This is not the case at all because implanted teeth are completely similar to teeth, and their connections in the jawbone are very strong. The implant does not have movement inside the jawbone that would cause problems with speaking, pronouncing or having a conversation.
- Many people think that it needs several dental appointments and it takes a long time to pass the healing process. According to the most experienced and dedicated dentists, if the person does not have special or emergency dental problems, he will pass the healing time in two to three months.
- The implant success rate is low? No. Actually, the implant is more than 98% successful in the world. No surgeon likes his implant to have an error or a problem, but in 2% of cases, we may fail in the treatment of the implant, which can easily be used again in that area.
- Some people believe dental implants are not suitable for all people and only for young people. This idea is not correct. Many patients over the age of 60-70 and even 80 years old come to dental clinics, and if they have enough bone density, they can go through this cosmetic tooth replacement option. And even if they have lost their bone, undergoing bone grafting can solve this problem.