Traumatic Dental Emergency
The Structure of the Tooth
– If the pulp is damaged, the tooth is not alive. In this case, endodontics is required. The dentist will remove all the dead tissue of the tooth, and the tooth is filled with artificial materials.
– If the enamel is damaged or decayed, the dentist uses dental bonding to repair it without anesthesia injection.
– If the dentin is damaged, the emergency dentist can repair it with a dental crown. He uses local anesthesia to numb the desired area.
– If the decayed tooth is severely damaged and cannot be saved, your dentist extracts the tooth and uses dental implantsto replace it.
Types of Dental Injuries
Although the person may not experience pain or discomfort immediately after the trauma, s/he may suffer severe pain after a month or more. In this case, the pulp is completely damaged, and the endodontics must be performed in the emergency dental clinic. It may also cause:
– Loose tooth
– Knocked out tooth
– A dental crown or root fracture
– Displacement of the tooth, which can be intrusion, extrusion, or lateral luxation
In all the cases mentioned above, a quick referral to the emergency dental clinic is needed. The first step in dental emergency cases is to rinse your mouth with warm water. If your permanent tooth is knocked out, store it in a glass of milk and head to theas soon as possible. Never touch the root of the knocked-out tooth. If your tooth is broken, find the broken piece and store it in a cup of milk or your saliva and visit theemergency dentist. You can bite on clean gauze if it is bleeding.
How to Prevent Traumatic Dental Emergencies?
– To prevent traumatic dental injuries, try to use a mouthguard when you play sports!
– Avoid eating hard foods, such as ice or nuts.
– Fasten your seat belt in the car.
Tooth fracture causes the nerve to be left unprotected, and so emergency treatment is required to prevent infection. Our emergency dentist and his experienced staff in 6006 Yonge Dental clinic are always ready to help you in emergency cases. If you are in an emergency, do not waste time and contact us.